A La Mode Photographic Boutique | (04)210-7776 | artists@lamode.co.nz | 191 Plateau Road Te Marua

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Creative Category | NZIPP 2011 Iris Awards


Creative Category:
 46 images in this category.
Let the nail biting commence.  I have been absolutely blown away by the work that I have seen so far this week and my heart is solidly in my throat for this category.  I have what I feel are 4 of my strongest images in here.    The witch, the soulscape, the Limpecka, and the queen of cups.  My printing is not where I want it to be but it will be next year darn it.  4, 15, 28, 38 are the image numbers.
Comments on some of the more impressive images:
Queen of cups up:  My heart is pounding in my throat....First score.....75 Bronze, no debate.  One point left to go to get my Masters......

Circle Church: Sue Bryce argued that she loved it because she did not feel she had the skills to create it....Considering she just pulled off four Golds, that is seriously high praise.  Once commented, Flat not cohesive, Fine craft porcelain, storyline, Will raise score. Tim burin movie, Totally believeable magical world.   81......rescored to 85.

Richard Wood’s Angel Piece has just come up for judging....This was a herculean feat to pull off in its creation and I hope it is rewarded accordingly 81 silver award....no debate.

Japanese Woman: 83  Jackie Rankin – Three dimensional push, cultural feel, design wise, contrasting beautifully against the screen, the food moving forward, not a static pose,  Western interpretation  will be talked up, 85 Chris, only thing holding back is face is not quite as sharp, Jackie, face doesnt’ need to be sharp it is an image that takes you on a journey around the piece. Rewarded high form of craft.  Print at 83.....now 86.  Silver distinction.

Next print the witch is up now.....Judges having a good old look.  That is promising........Heart beating, in my freaking throat. Bronze.... poos, Was hoping for a silver with this one.  No comments either.  Double poos.   But......I just got my Masters!!!!   Now observe me doing the happy dance in my head, ever so slightly in my seat, but not so much to alarm the people sitting next to me.

Limpecka is up now.  I love her but I am not sure how the judges will see her.    Bronze.  No comments.  Poos.

Soulscape: When the Soulscape came up they debated it beautifully, the only comment was a heavy handling of the image, I started crying when Sue Brice said she wanted to get her hands on me because she felt if I could visualize this that I could create Gold’s.   Sue led the challenge and said that she was entranced by following the images and the play of light and darks and demons and light.  End score was silver.  I was completely and utterly rapt.

Went out and did a proper Happy Dance outside with my family.  Throughout the day it has slowly been dawning on me what has happened this week.  I entered 10 prints and 9 of them were awarded...not bad for trying to figure this stuff out mostly on my own.  I am so excited.... but after looking at the images that pulled off golds I feel like I  am colouring with crayon pack of 8 where some people (the goldy types) have the whole 64 box with the sharpener in back.....I am dying to get that box. I will not stop until I have it bwaaaahhhhhh ha ha ha ha. 

I see now so much clearly what can be done to push my images that much further and I am so incredibly excited to get there. I am already dreaming up things that I want to do for next years images.  For me the thing that has helped the most has been following the advice of Peter Rossi and making sure that I am setting aside time each month to play and create some things just for myself.   Watching this weeks judging has reinforced that even more for me...and my need to get my own printer.  I don't think I will be happy until I print things myself....so that is the new quest...to find the ultimate printer.   So at the moment I have ducked out on my boyfriend and my sisters housewarming party to write this only to be busted by them coming in and shaking their heads at me being on the computer again so I must sign off and get back to being social.  

If you are thinking about competing do it.  That is all I can say.  I have grown and learned more as a photographer from attending the judgingings than I have from anything else other than shooting itself.  Come to them they are free for goodness sake and will make all the difference in your shooting.  BUt most of all enter because it is like going to the races without having something on the horses. Nowhere near as exciting.

Huge congrats to Sue Bryce achieving the next to impossible...but obviously not for her.  She is the only person I have ever heard of to enter 4 prints and get 4 Golds in the same Category.  She is my hero and I bow and her 64 pack with sharpener.

 (Images will be supplied later when I have real broadband access).

2 comments:

  1. Holy smoke Mandi! Well done!! You don't look like no 8-pack girl to me: I'm sure you'll get your gold next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need To Increase Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete