A La Mode Photographic Boutique | (04)210-7776 | artists@lamode.co.nz | 191 Plateau Road Te Marua

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

NZIPP Iris Judging 2011, Commercial Category no fingernails left.....

Sitting down with my family surrounding me including my 4 month old niece.  My nails were short to begin with and now they are mere nubs.  I have four images in the Commercial category which came from a wonderful collaboration with Designer Kerrie Huges, Stylist Derek Elvy, and Hil Cook into the White Goddess Series.   The first one came up which was my favourite and it got a Bronze....I had huge hopes for it and I was gutted....Two years ago I would have been rapt with a Bronze but this year I am holding out for the big old Silvers!!!  My hopes went crashing and I thought bugger...I really must have over estimated what I have brought this year.  BUT then low and behold the next two images got Silvers!!!  I have racked up 6 of the points that I needed of the 9 necessary to pull off my Masters.   SOOOO pleased.  And I still have 6 more images left to be judged over the next couple of days to get those three points...High Hopes!
Silver

Bronze

 Bronze

 Silver

Was surprised at the low number of entries into the Commercial category only 22 images...crazy.  But the lovely aspect of it was that the judges had plenty of time to comment on the images.  To me this feedback process is worth more than anything.  For the last three years, I have treated the print judging as the ultimate masterclass paying attention to the judges comments as to what works in an image and what could be done better.  I always bring a notebook or laptop and sit there taking notes as if I were back in school.  I also find new ideas for images floating to me while I look at others brilliant pieces.  It is always a humbling experience having your work put up to be judged, but I am just incredibly grateful to the judges for there pearls of advice....Yes there are times I want to scream out!!!!! "You just didn't get it"  But then I sit back and think that is the point...a solid assessment from someone who isn't close to the image.  

Today I came away with a solid idea that the key is in the details.  It is tiny things that sometimes you just don't see because you are so darn close to an image that others pick up.  I am already starting to brew up ideas for what I can do better next time.....

So went over and looked at the commercial category and see that I am one of two people with two Silvers....so now my mind gets ticking as to what the chances might be to place in the category....I feel so new to it, as this is the first year I have really done any commercial work,  but there is that sliver of hope....that maybe....just maybe.....despite all the flaws that have been pointed out in the images, that now seem like incredibly huge red flags to a bull......maybe they might just like them enough to make me a runner up in the category or heaven forbid no I can't even think it.  Crimeney it is a long time to wait until Sunday....

Now I am starting to obsess about the images that are in my favourite category of Creative....I have put some of my best from this year in there.   Some risky choices but I can't wait to see how they fair.

Tomorrow I have two in the Creative Portrait Category.  This is a new category and I struggled a bit trying to figure out where to put these last two images but I think they sit very well here.  One is my favourite image of Ella, my 16 year old Muse...This one to me is the absolute representation of youthful beauty.  There is a timelessness in this image of her....And probably more than any thing reminds me of the William Waterhouse posters I used to have decorating my room as a young girl.  It feels timeless.  Then there is the portrait I did of Eva Strangelove representing the darkly inspiring part of her stage persona.  I love the elegance of her body and her hands...that is the two things that are so fetching about both of these women is there natural grace with with their hands.  Irregardless of what the judges think, I know these are two of my favourite portraits that I have done of all time and it will be fun to see how they go.....so until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment